This is adapted from Tom Lacalamita’s Pressure Cookers for Dummies, but you should use the Serious Eats method of browning stew beef in one large piece, then cubing it before cooking, for better results.
- 1⁄2 lb stew meat
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb of mixed mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1 cup barley
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 8 cups of liquid, stock preferred
- Chopped parsley
- Cook onion in oil until fragrant
- Add the meat and cook until browned. Remove and chop into small cubes.
- Add the carrots, celery, barley, mushrooms, meat, stock, and bay leaf to the pressure cooker.
- Bring o high heat and cook for 20 minutes. Release pressure with the quick release method.
- Add parsley, and season the soup with salt and pepper before serving.