Red beans and rice is simple, fast and good. Use a good hot sauce, use more seasoning than you think you’ll need. This recipe scales well - 2 or 3 cups of beans will fill most normal pressure cookers.
- 2 cups of red beans
- 1 large onion
- 1 head garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 1 smoked ham hock or 3 strips of bacon or 1 can of (gasp!) spam, etc
- 4 cups of water
- 1⁄2 lb of andouille or other smoked sausage
- salt to taste (around 1 or 2 Tbsp)
- Rinse the beans, and let them soak while you do the other prep.
- Chop the onion and garlic. Saute in olive oil until fragrant. Add the carrots, tomatoes, hot sauce, and bay leaf. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the ham hock, beans, water.
- Bring pressure cooker to high pressure, cook for 20 minutes. Release pressure via “natural release”. If beans are still hard, cook another 5 minutes.
- Add sausage, salt and pepper. Cook with cover off until desired thickness is reached, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve over white rice.